AT LEAST ONE $10,000 AGRICULTURE SCHOLARSHIP WILL BE AWARDED ON FEBRUARY 25, 2021
- The 2021 Rotary Club of Lethbridge East/Lethbridge Exhibition Park Agricultural Scholarships are Southern Alberta’s most coveted awards for post-secondary undergraduate agriculture students. Scholarship(s), valued at $10,000 each, will be awarded to the successful applicants. Due to the uncertainties caused by COVID-19, the number of scholarships presented will be dependent on the success of fundraising activities. At least one $10,000 scholarship will be presented on February 25, 2021.
- The Agricultural Scholarships are to further recognize the importance of agriculture in our community by supporting top students in their pursuit of an agricultural career. Agriculture and agri-business in Southern Alberta is a multi-Billion dollar industry and the reason our community has weathered the economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic more successfully than the other major cities in Alberta.
- Thank you to the sponsors and agriculture students that have made this agriculture scholarship program so successful in the first 2 years of the program. We are excited to offer Agriculture Scholarship(s) for a third year and look forward to continuing this program in the future under more normal conditions.
Eligibility of Applicants
- Applicants must have successfully completed at least the equivalent of two full years (60 credit hours) of training at a recognized post-secondary institution in agriculture or in a related field with substantive and documented agricultural content.
- Applicants must either be a legal resident of Southern Alberta or have lived in Southern Alberta for seven of the past ten years. Southern Alberta includes the Counties of Lethbridge, Taber, Warner, Forty Mile, Cardston, Pincher Creek, Ranchlands, Willow Creek, Cypress, Newell, Vulcan, and all municipalities within these counties (e.g. Lethbridge, Brooks, Medicine Hat); Municipality of Crowsnest Pass; and Blood (Kanai) and Piikani First Nations.
- In keeping with the long-standing principles governing Rotary Foundation scholarships, Rotarians, Rotaractors, and their immediate family members (parent, spouse, sibling, child, grandchild, nephew, niece, uncle, aunt) are not eligible to apply.
- Applicant eligibility will be determined by the Scholarship Adjudication Committee whose decision shall be final.
- In addition to high academic achievement in agriculture and/or an agriculture related discipline, scholarship criteria must include significant evidence of community service and leadership. Experience in agricultural enterprises and/or agricultural organizations/societies such as 4H should be elucidated.
- Successful applicants should also be familiar with the activities of Rotary International and be able to explain how their professional goals align with Rotary principles www.rotary.org.
Applications must include the following:
- Completed the Scholarship Application Form
- Covering letter that describes the applicant’s academic interests, achievements, community contributions, leadership experience and career aspirations (500 words or less).
- Post-secondary transcripts up to January 2021 (scanned as PDF) or arrange to have institution forward transcripts to email@example.com.
- Resumé detailing academic, work, and community service history
- Names and contact information of three qualified references (from postsecondary institution and community leaders)
- Please arrange for your three references to send their confidential letters of reference directly to the email address below before January 31, 2021.
- Application documents should be entirely in Word (*.docx) format and emailed to Dr. C. Wayne Lindwall: firstname.lastname@example.org by 31 January 2021.
Applicants must apply before January 31, 2021.
Complete applications must be received by January 31, 2021. Applications received after this date will not be considered.
Presentation of $10,000 Ag Scholarship Award(s) - Thursday, February 25, 2021
Due to uncertainty caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, the $10,000 Agriculture Scholarship program will have an online presentation format.
Features of the Awards Presentation Evening will include:
- 6:00 pm – Presentation of $10,000 Ag Scholarship Award(s)
- Announcement of the successful bidder of the Lynn Gregson original framed painting
- 6:30 pm - Keynote Speaker: Shaun Haney, realagriculture.com presented by Farm Credit Canada.
- Announcement of the successful winner of the Rotary Exhibition Park Ag Scholarship 50/50 draw.
- Announcement of the successful bidders at the Rotary Exhibition Park Ag Scholarship Silent Auction.
Keynote Speaker – Shaun Haney, RealAgriculture
Presented by Farm Credit Canada - SHAUN HANEY started RealAgriculture.com in 2008 as a hobby that has turned it into a dream come true. Getting a chance to see agriculture across Canada, talking to farmers involved in all facets of agriculture makes him a self proclaimed "very lucky person". Along with writing for RealAgriculture.com, he is also the host of RealAg Radio on Rural Radio 147 every weekday at 4:30pm EST. Twitter @shaunhaney @realagriculture
For More Information:
- Andrew Bronson, Rotary Club Lethbridge East – 403-795-1557
- Wayne Lindwall – Scholarship Committee – 403-388-4253
A G S C H O L A R S H I P P A R T N E R S
S I L E N T A U C T I O N D O N A T I O N S